Relocating is complicated regardless of the final destination. Moving abroad is probably the hardest, most stressful type of relocation. You need to always be two steps ahead in order to make sure nothing goes wrong. A big part of the relocation project is taking care of your belongings. Although there is a whole industry dedicated to this, the decision making part is all yours. First, you need to decide what goes where, then, you can leave the heavy lifting to professionals. Since you probably can’t (and shouldn’t) take every single thing you own with you to a foreign country, renting some storage space could be the ideal solution. There are very good reasons to rent a storage when moving abroad – hear us out.
Choose a trustworthy moving and storage company
Picking the right storage company is the most important step. You will probably hire a relocation company to help you with the items you are moving abroad, so the most efficient solution would be finding one that can meet your storage needs, too. AAA-Insta Move Orlando can take care of all your moving needs, including storing your belongings.
Why hire two companies when you can hire one for both services? Years of experience and good customer reviews show that a company is worthy of your trust, so that’s something you should be looking for. In addition to packing and moving your possessions abroad, your movers can take the rest to a storage facility and you won’t have to lift a finger.
Choose the right storage unit
Not all storage units are the same. There are various types, shapes, and sizes. But how do you know which one is for you? That is something your storage company can help you with. Or, you can use an online storage estimator and do it yourself. This way, you will be sure that your unit can fit all of your items comfortably. If you opt for mobile storage containers Orlando, the company can deliver the container to your address and pick it up later and store it or leave it there for as long as you plan on using it.
Packing your belongings for storage
Once you decide what you want to store and select the right storage unit, you should make a packing plan. Do you prefer DIY packing or you would rather have professionals do it? Maybe both? Packing delicate items is never easy, and the more valuable they are, the greater the pressure. If you want to make sure they are handled in a professional way, use packing services. If saving money is your priority, do it yourself but get informed first. Get familiar with different packing rules and techniques to avoid unnecessary stress and damage. For example, try to keep your boxes and furniture off the floor and make an isle in the middle of the unit for easy access.
For storage, you need quality moving materials
Professional packing services often come with the necessary moving supplies – boxes, plastic wrap, packing paper, etc. Whether you are purchasing new packing materials or not, make sure they are durable because the safety of your goods during transport and in storage depends on them. For example, fragile items require a lot of cushioning, and cardboard boxes are not recommendable for traditional, non-climate controlled storage.
Top reasons to rent a storage when moving abroad
- You can cut costs without saying goodbye to your belongings. This is one of the most important reasons to rent a storage when moving abroad. The less your shipment weighs, the less money you’ll spend. Instead of paying rent for your apartment while you’re gone, taking everything with you, or giving stuff away – put it in storage.
- Your belongings won’t be a burden to anyone. Your friends might agree to look after your stuff while you are gone but do they have enough space for all of it? Besides, is that the kind of responsibility you would happily accept if you were in their place? Of course not, especially if you had to take care of something valuable.
- The security of your belongings is guaranteed. When moving long-distance, especially when leaving the country, you can’t check on your belongings whenever you want. That is why you need to make sure they are protected from intruders. And that is exactly what every reliable storage company offers its customers – maximum security 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Your belongings will also be protected from the elements, rodents, dust, and debris if you rent a climate controlled storage unit or choose a waterproof, tough steel container. This is very important for long-term storage.
- Everything will stay in one place. This is one of the most obvious reasons to rent a storage when moving abroad. Instead of keeping your belongings scattered in several places, they can stay together until your return.
What items to store?
Separate the “to take” the pile from the “to store” pile as early as possible. What items you can store depends on many factors, such as the climate in the destination country, the size of your new home, which is already provided to you, and your budget. You need to get a price estimate on time so you can plan your budget accordingly. Of course, some items are prohibited by law. These are some of the items people usually store:
- Heavy and bulky furniture such as beds and sofas
- Photo albums/personal keepsakes